Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Making Over the Cave

So we have this room in the basement.  We've hardly touched it since we bought the house over a year ago.  Of all the rooms in the house, it's the one most in need of a makeover -- even more than the kitchen with its yellow flowered countertops (I kid you not).  This basement room houses a couch, a recliner, and a 42" flat screen TV -- hubby calls it the man cave.

Shortly after moving in, we ripped up the old vinyl flooring and put down new laminate flooring.  


We also primed the 70's faux wood panelling on the walls.  In fact, there were two different types on different walls.  Here you can see some unprimed bits and the new laminate:


The old window treatments have to go.


I've finally bought fabric for new window treatments.


The furniture is tan, so using the fabric for inspiration, it seemed to make sense to go with the grey-blue colour for the walls.  I ended up picking Pittsburgh's "quicksilver".  I just hope it's not too dark/grey -- don't want the "man cave" to actually look like a cave!


Right now, hubby is just finishing up the first coat.  The paint is covering really well and, at this point, it seems like a second coat may not even be necessary.  Ugh!  I wish I'd known that before I bought TWO gallons.  Oh, well.  Live and learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment